Why Home Helpers
Note: As of September 1, 2008, all home care agencies are required to be licensed by the State of Illinois. Always ask to see a copy of the agency’s license.
Why Our Office is Unique
In addition to being a licensed, full-service Home Services and Home Nursing agency, we promise the following:
- Home Helpers Home Care of Hinsdale was the first agency in Illinois to be A+ Rated by the Home Care Standards Bureau.
- We’ve been in business over 12 years and have a lot of experience to share.
- We will never ask you to guarantee a schedule or make an advance payment. You may terminate our services at any time, for any reason, and will owe nothing more than services previously rendered.
- A nurse will supervise our caregivers.
- We will be accessible to clients, family members and caregivers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- We will know all of our clients personally and will always put their interests first. Other than our own family, our clients are our top priority.
- We will take the time to find the best caregiver based on your requirements. She/He will have both the skills to perform the required duties and the personality that will make them a welcome visitor time after time.
- You will always have the opportunity to meet and approve of the caregiver before they start.
- We will strive to have a back-up caregiver available in case the primary caregiver is sick or cannot make it.
- You will always have the final say as to the personalized care plan.
You have several options when looking for home care
Home Helpers is a full-service agency, offering nursing care as well as non-medical services. We screen, train, employ and supervise our caregiving staff. We withhold taxes and contribute to workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance. We bond and insure all of our employees. Illinois law requires that licensed home care agencies perform employee criminal background checks, but we go beyond that and search state and federal felony and misdemeanor databases while also performing a number of other checks, including a driving record review. Our employees also must pass a pre-hire drug screening.
These agencies place caregivers with clients and generally collect a placement fee from the caregiver. Some agencies pre-screen and follow up to ensure customer satisfaction. The employment agency typically does not pay employer/employee payroll taxes or workers’ compensation insurance. The client must assume all of the responsibilities of an employer, including payment of required taxes and withholding, as required by Illinois labor laws.
Independent providers of care, such as companions, aides or nurses, can be hired privately by the client. If an employer/employee relationship is established between the client and caregiver, the client will be responsible for all state and federal payroll requirements as well as workers’ compensation and unemployment compensation obligations. There may be some instances where the caregiver may be considered an “independent contractor” and, therefore responsible for his or her own taxes and insurance. The IRS has established clear guidelines to be used in determining whether a caregiver is an employee or an independent contractor, and in order to avoid unintentional liability, clients should consider these guidelines (and their consequences) before hiring a caregiver privately.